Given some of the hype-driven media coverage, you might be forgiven for thinking that adaptive learning is one of those blue-sky, might-come-soon technologies you need a masters in machine learning to understand.
But you’d be wrong. Adaptive learning is a right-here, right-now technology. True, at the very high end, there are some heavyweight AI-driven systems (with correspondingly heavyweight price-tags) in the space. But the ability to create content that adapts to the learner’s needs is becoming increasingly mainstream. In fact, you can do it yourself.
That’s right: you don’t even need to get your development partner to build it for you. With an authoring tool like CourseBuilder 8, in-house development teams can create learner-adaptive content of considerable sophistication right now.
The benefits of adaptive learning are easy to understand. Sven Ove Sjølyst , our very own CourseBuilder guru, lists them in this slideshare, and shows how you can use CourseBuilder’s powerful ‘branching’ capability to personalise learning to the individual learner.
Based on a pre-test, several different types of adaptivity can be built into a course:
- Role-specific – learners get only the learning appropriate to their role or level
- Scaffolding based on level – learners are presented with a selection of learning from different levels, based on their role
- Scaffolding based on results – a bad fail on a quiz within the learning that might indicate significant knowledge gaps, will cause different screens to be presented of lower level knowledge
- Free play – the learner decide the order, accessing content in their own time and in the order they prefer to do it
- JIT – content can be presented ‘just-in-time’ according to need at that specific moment, and fully searchable
This last type of adaptability is especially appropriate for learning accessed on a mobile device. CourseBuilder 8 supports mobile learning, but also learning across all devices, including desktop and tablet as well, for a true omnichannel experience.
To find out more about how you can create adaptive learning with CourseBuilder – or to book a free demo – drop us a line on firstname.lastname@example.org.